Callback Events to Report Progress of Each Page in Word Document when Converting Saving As to PDF C# .NET Thread IsAlive

When working with large word files to save as pdf the process can sometimes take several minutes to complete.

Looking through the documentation, I did not see how we can get feedback on the progress of the transformation.

Anything at all will do, even just a completed event would be nice, right now there is nothing. When you pass the save() method the rest is asynch and no feedback, no way of knowing when it’s done.

How is this supposed to be handled?

Thank you,
Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry.

You can run your conversion within a separate thread and check Thread.IsAlive to see if the execution has finished or not.

If we can help with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Do you guys have any plans to come up with something let’s say… more managed?

The task framework is still somewhat new to me, but it allowed me to do something like:

We can have 1000 documents of 500 pages in this documents collection

List documents;

… logic to fill the List<> with data.

Parallel.ForEach(documents, info=>
{
document.Save(info.path, info.destination …);
});

Very very simple, and everything, threading, load, is handled by the task framework. The only issue is that the save() method of the aspose.words document returns immediately, before it is done and has no way (other than micromanaging it’s thread) of letting us know the progress. So, it will end up calling save() 1000 times and try to run 1000 conversions simultaneously.

running concurent transformations using multiple managed threads in a pool and waiting for the thread to die before relaunching another ones seems painful, with no other choice, I will try to come up with something as elegant as I can…

This is something that I think is absolutely required and I would love to see it. Feedback per page / total number of pages would allow to put a progress bar and such.

Hi there,

Thanks for this additional information.

Yes definitely, we will plan to add a callback that is notified each time a page in a document is rendered or when document conversion is complete. I have linked your request to the appropriate issue. We will inform you as soon as there are any developments.

Thanks,

Thanks,

This is very good news, I will be waiting for the implementation.

Thank you.