Integrating Aspose.Pdf.ReportingServices with Microsoft Report Viewer in Local Mode does not work

Hello,

I followed all the steps from here: Aspose.Total Product Family
to integrate the aspose pdf renderer with the local report viwer. I wnat to use the extension for local mode reports (.rdlc).

When I try to export as Aspose PDF I get the following exception:

Unable to cast object of type ‘Aspose.Pdf.ReportingServices.Renderer’ to
type ‘Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportRendering.IRenderingExtension’.

Please let me know if there is a workaround for this.

This message was posted using Page2Forum from Integrate with Microsoft Report Viewer in Local Mode - Aspose.Pdf for Reporting Services

Hi,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

Can you please share the resource .RDL file so that we can test the scenario at our end. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hello,

In the attachement you can find my .rdlc file.

In the mean time, as it was not working in local mode, I converted my report to .rdl and deployed on a report server 2008.
Now I can export to PDF via Aspose’s Renderer, the html formating works and the repeater text is nicely split by page breaks(no more white spaces in the pdf document).

But another feature that we would use from the Aspose.PDF.ReportingServices library is the Table Of Contents. Initially this was the mai purpose for which we wanted to buy the library.

I added the Aspose.Pdf.ListSectionStyle.xml file to the /bin of the Reporting Services 2008 installation folder. It contains the following:

<Segment IsTrueTypeFontBold=“true”
FontSize=“30”> TableOfContents

<TextInfo IsTrueTypeFontBold=“true”
IsTrueTypeFontItalic=“true”>

When I export to PDF via aspose, the title “Atable Of Contents” but it does not contain any items.

I added the custom properties to the textbox that I want to appear in the TOC, but same result.
I will also attach the rdl as a reference.

I’m now busy with a proof of concept regarding these features, and only if the proof of concept is successfull we will purchase the library.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hello voicu,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sorry for replying you late.

I've tried testing the scenario at my end but I'm afraid I couldn't test it because your report is using some date source Data Source=brain41;Initial Catalog=Eamonnbates_EUTracker can you please share the resource database containing Eamonnbates_EUTracker catalog or is it possible that you can share another report showing the same behavior but prepared using AdventureWorks database. Because, until or unless we test the scenario, we might not be able to share the exact information regarding the resolution of this problem.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hello,

Happy new year!

I finally found some time to put together a report example using the AdventureWorks 2008 db.
The Table of contents still does not appear in the exported PDF. All I can see is the title of the TOC.
I attached the redl report, the generated pdf and the backup of the database that I used for testing.

If the TOC works we will buy the library right away. We need it for a project for one of our clients and the TOC feature(with correct page numbers and so) of the report is essential for him.

Please let me know what might be the solution for this issue.
Thank you!

Hello voicu,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for sharing the resource files. I've tested the scenario and I'm able to notice the problem. We're looking into the details of this problem and will keep you updated with the status of correction.

Thanks a lot!

Dear Nayye,

Do you have any news for us on that?
The TOC feature is already included in the planning for a client project and the deadline is getting closer.

Thank you.

Hello,

I’m currently trying to implement the SSRS 2008 report that will be exported to PDF using the Aspose.Pdf.ReportingServices renderer but I encountered some new issues besides the TOC issue:
For instance if I have some element that I only want to appear on the odd numbered pages and not on the even numbered pages, the Apose PDF renderer simply ignored these rules. The standard PDF renderer from Microsoft does this correctly.

Please let me know if it is possible to fix these issues (TOC and page numebr related conditions) in a timely manner.
Otherwise we will look into other libraries. These 2 features are essential for us as the deadline is getting very close. We would like to buy the library, but before, ofcourse, we would like to have it working the way it is promomoted on the website - which is not the case now.

Please contact me if you have news.

Respectfully yours,

Voicu Matei

Hello voicu,

Thanks for your interest in our products.

Our development team is looking into the details of TOC problem. I know you've been facing an inconvenience due to this problem but still I would request you to spare us little more time and I hope, soon we would be able to share some definite news regarding its resolution.

Regarding the other issue, "Elements to be displayed over particular pages", please share the resource .RDL file so that we can test the scenario at our end. We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Dear Nayyer,

I attached the updated rdl contaning the issue that I was saying about (items that need to be shown dirrerently on odd and even pages - header with logo in my example for a booklet like pdf).

While I was building the example I noticed other more serious issues of the Aspose PDF renderer.

In the attachment there are 3 files:

1. rdl
  2. pdf exported with the standard pdf renderer from ssrs 2008
  3. pdf exported with the Aspose pdf renderer
Please take a look at the differences between the two pdfs.

For it’s becoming clear that, unless the issues will be fixed in a timely manner, we can not use your component in it’s current state.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully yours,

Voicu Matei.

Hello Voicu,

I'm pleased to inform you that the issue reported earlier has been resolved and the hotfix will be in next few days. Whereas concerning to your requirement "items that need to be shown differently on odd and even pages” we hope it can be supported by the end of this month, but still it’s not a promise. We'll try our level best to support it ASAP and will keep you updated with the status of correction.

Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated in this regard. We apologize for your inconvenience.

I am having the same issue as the first poster, regarding the error
Unable to cast object of type ‘Aspose.Pdf.ReportingServices.Renderer’ to type
‘Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportRendering.IRenderingExtension’.

I am trying to use the ReportViewer control in LocalReport mode, using a .rdlc definition and displaying it inside an aspx webpage. I have included the dll in the Bin and followed all other instructions…

I receive the error with ANY report that I may try to export to pdf via Aspose.Pdf. Exporting to pdf via the built-in control works fine. Moreover, exporting to MS Word via Aspose.Words works fine.

Could I be missing something?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi,

Can you please convert your .RDLC document into .RDL format and try using it in the project ? I hope it would resolve your problem. In case you still face any problem or you've any further query, please feel free to contact.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, converting to the rdlc to an rdl file did not help. I am still receiving the same error.

Also, please let me repeat/emphasize:
I am attempting to use aspose.pdf with MS Report Viewer in Local Mode, from an aspx website. I use code-behind to pass parameters and bind data to the report, as our clients will be accessing this report from a browser and my code will be forwarding them to their appropriate database, depending on credentials.
Just as the first poster of this thread, I followed the instructions at
http://www.aspose.com/documentation/ssrs-rendering-extensions/aspose.pdf-for-reporting-services/integrate-with-microsoft-report-viewer-in-local-mode.html
Two more notes:
a) following similar instructions for Aspose.Words worked fine, directly with the .rdlc files.
b) Trying the same with a winforms sample from Microsoft (in this case their VB sample), I got exactly the same results: The export works for Aspose.Words but not for Aspose.Pdf. If you need to check it out yourselves, you may download the ReportViewer Sample from MS’s website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8AF004BD-EE06-43FA-A5B6-955689A66C84&displaylang=en

Actually, I am wondering if I perhaps just downloaded the wrong dll? I am currently using this one: …Aspose\Aspose.Pdf for Reporting Services\Bin\ReportViewer2008\Aspose.Pdf.ReportingServices.dll
My project is developed in VS2008 and I’m using ReportViewer 9.

Thank you again.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

I have tested the scenario and I am able to notice that Aspose.Pdf.ReportingServices is causing an issue when integrating it with Microsoft Report Viewer in Local Mode. I have logged it in our issue tracking system as PDFREP-15569. We will investigate this issue in details and will keep you updated on the status of a correction. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you. I look forward to your updates.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 15569) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(2)