Wingdings 2 checkboxes appear as R and £

In this thread the problem is allready mentioned, only in relation to Aspose.Words.

I am using the "Wingdings 2" font to create checked and unchecked checkboxes in the pdf output. On my local computer (developement environment) everything works fine. But when creating the pdf on the remote webserver the checkboxes appear as the characters R and £.

We have installed the WINGDNG2.TTF font on the webserver and I have copied the dll as posted by Hans Zhang in this post 148010.

What could be my problem? Any ideas what I can do to find and isolate the problem?

Best regards, Arjen.

Hi Arjen,

We're investigating the issue at our end and will let you know about the resolution, the earliest possible. It'll also be helpful if you could share the pdf/doc files you're using.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Thanks for your quick reply.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I hope you did not misunderstood the first line in the first post. The other thread is in the Aspose.Words section, I am using the Aspose.Pdf tool(s).

I’m using C# to generate the pdf output. I have created a wrapper function to add a segment to a Aspose.Pdf.Text object.

public Aspose.Pdf.Segment TextAddSegment(string sFontName, int iFontSize, Aspose.Pdf.Text txt, string sText)

{

Aspose.Pdf.Segment seg = new Aspose.Pdf.Segment(sText);

seg.TextInfo.FontName = sFontName;

seg.TextInfo.FontSize = iFontSize;

txt.Segments.Add(seg);

return (seg);

}

This function can be called with this function.

public Aspose.Pdf.Segment TextAddSegmentCheckbox(Aspose.Pdf.Text txt, bool bChecked)

{

string sText = (bChecked) ? "R" : "£";

return (TextAddSegment("Wingdings 2", 8, txt, sText));

}

Attached two documents, one created on my development computer (Local.pdf: checkboxes plotted OK), the other on the webserver (Webserver.pdf: R and £ plotted). Please see page 2 of these documents.

Please let me know if this info as requested and/or if you need some other info.

Thanks.

I did some additional testing with help from my ICT department. We compared the development computer to the current server and to a old(er) server.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Development computer: Windows XP

Current server: Windows Server 2008, IIS7

Old server: Window Server 2003, IIS6

On XP and 2003 the output is OK, on 2008 the font problem occurs.

Is Aspose.Pdf.dll compatible with Windows Server 2008, 64 bit OS?

I added this line of code just before the call to Save the document.

pdf1.TextInfo.IsFontEmbedded = true;

In the document generated on 2008 the Wingdings 2 font seems NOT to be embedded.

I hope this might be of any help…

Hi Arjen,

Thank you very much for the detailed information. That'll definitly help us understand the cause of the problem.

We'll inform you as we find the cause/solution of the problem.

Regards,

We searched for another font which was present on the development computer and not on the 2008 server. We installed this font on the 2008 server and noticed that also this font is discarded.

Conclusion: It is a general problem, it is not Wingdings 2 specific.

Hi,

Thanks for the sharing the information, it would definitely be helpful while rectifying the issue.

Hi,

The following links for information on versions of OS supported by Aspose.Pdf http://www.aspose.com/documentation/file-format-components/aspose.pdf-for-.net-and-java/system-requirements-for-net.html

It seems an enviroment dependant issue from your info. We will check it with Windows 2008 64 Bit OS and will find you a solution on it soon.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards.

I am having the same issue on Windows Server 2008 x64. Any solutions?

Abraham

Hi Abraham,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you for considering Aspose.Pdf.<o:p></o:p>

Which version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET are you using? If
you are using an older version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET then please download and
try the latest version
of Aspose.Pdf for .NET v6.7
and check if it works fine in your environment.<o:p></o:p>

Also, as it is an environment specific issue, I have
registered an issue in our issue tracking system with issue id:
PDFNEWNET-33328 for our development team to investigate
your issue with Windows Server 2008 x64 environments and share their feedback.
As soon as I get a response from them, I will update you via this forum thread.<o:p></o:p>

Sorry for the inconvenience,

The Aspose.Pdf.Kit version I am using is 5.8. The windows version I am using only has Wingdngs Regular font (No Wingdng2 font).

Abraham.

Hi Abraham,

Well, Aspose.Pdf.Kit for .NET and Aspose.Pdf for .NET have been merged into a single product i.e. Aspose.Pdf for .NET and Aspose.Pdf.Kit for .NET has been discontinued as a separate product. All the features of Aspose.Pdf.Kit for .NET are available under Aspose.Pdf.Facades namespace of Aspose.Pdf for .NET v6.x. You can check the following documentation links to upgrade your code from Aspose.Pdf.Kit for .NET to the new merged Aspose.Pdf for .NET.

http://www.aspose.com/blogs/aspose-blogs/shahzad-latif/archive/2011/06/11/migrating-from-legacy-code-to-merged-aspose.pdf-for-.net.html

We will encourage you to download and try the latest version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET v6.7 and check if you still face the same issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Installing Wingdings 2 (not free) on the server resolved the issue.

Thank you,

Abrahamm

Hi Abraham,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you for your feedback.

We are pleased to know that you have resolved the issue at your end. Your feedback will certainly help us in identfying and suggesting solution to other customers in a similar scenario.

Pleaes feel free to contact support regarding any query / issue.

Thank You & Best Regards,