FlattenAllFields not displaying output for Arial Unicode MS

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks
for using our products.<o:p></o:p>

I have tested the scenario and I am able to reproduce the same problem. For the sake of correction, I have logged it in our issue tracking system as PDFNEWNET-34887. We will investigate this issue in details and will keep you updated on the status of a correction.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Thank you Nayyer - any chance there is an expected date for an updated DLL for this?

Kind Regards,
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your patience.

We have further investigated the issue reported earlier and we have noticed that in order to resolve this issue, please assign field value before flattening:

[C#]

Aspose.Pdf.Facades.Form
form = new Aspose.Pdf.Facades.Form(@“C:\pdftest\AgentLetter.pdf”);<o:p></o:p>

form.FillField("Text1", "Sample new value");

form.FlattenAllFields();

form.Save(@“C:\pdftest\AgentLetter_7_7_0.pdf”);

Please note that FillField() method returns false if filling was not successful;
if FlattenAllFields() was called before FillField() then FillField will return false (because field was flattened and inaccessible for this reason). I have also attached the output file generated with Aspose.Pdf for .NET 7.7.0. Please take a look.

Confirmed. Many thanks for your time!

With further testing, we are still able to recreate this issue if the field is mapped using Arial Unicode MS and the string of characters “住家電話男女強闆妹真婷教尚姵份” is entered.

Below is my code sample. If we comment out FlattenAllFields, then we see the text after we’ve clicked on the text field in the PDF. If we leave FlattenAllFields in place, then we don’t see the text.

Private Sub asposePDF()
Dim l_objPdfForm As Aspose.Pdf.Facades.Form
Dim l_objLicense As New Aspose.Pdf.License

l_objLicense.SetLicense(m_strLoc + “bin\Aspose.Pdf.lic”)

l_objPdfForm = New Aspose.Pdf.Facades.Form(m_strName, m_strName.Replace(".pdf", “_asposePDF.pdf”))
'l_objPdfForm = New Aspose.Pdf.Facades.Form(m_strName)

If txtMapTo.Text = String.Empty Then
For Each thisField As Object In mappedFields.AcroFields.Fields.Keys
If txtContent.Text = String.Empty Then
l_objPdfForm.FillField(thisField, thisField)
Else
l_objPdfForm.FillField(thisField, txtContent.Text)
End If
Next
Else
l_objPdfForm.FillField(txtMapTo.Text, txtContent.Text)
End If

l_objPdfForm.FlattenAllFields()

l_objPdfForm.Save()
'l_objPdfForm.Save(m_strName.Replace(".pdf", “_asposePDF.pdf”))
End Sub

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for contacting support.

I have tested the scenario where I have used attached AgentLetter (1).pdf file as input document and have used the following code snippet to test the scenario and as per my observations, the UniCode text properly appears in resultant PDF file, even when calling FlattenAllFields(…) method.

I am able to see the text when using Adobe Reader 10.1.4

[VB.NET]

Dim l_objPdfForm As
Aspose.Pdf.Facades.Form<o:p></o:p>

l_objPdfForm = New Aspose.Pdf.Facades.Form("c:/pdftest/AgentLetter (1).pdf")

l_objPdfForm.FillField("Text1", "住家電話男女強闆妹真婷教尚姵份")

l_objPdfForm.FlattenAllFields()

l_objPdfForm.Save(“c:/pdftest/FlattenFieldIssue.pdf”)

Hello Nayyer;

Please try with the field pdfAgentComments. That field is mapped with the unicode font in question.
Thanks again for your time!

eplumley:
Please try with the field pdfAgentComments. That field is mapped with the unicode font in question.
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for sharing the information.

I have been able to notice the same issue that when calling FlattenAllFields, the UniCode text does not appear in resultant file. I have associated the information with PDFNEWNET-34887. The development team will further look into the details of this problem and will keep you updated on the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little time. We are sorry for your inconvenience.

Hello Nayyer;

I’m wondering if I can get an update on issue PDFNEWNET-34887 when you have a moment?
Best Regards,
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your patience.<o:p></o:p>

The development team has been busy resolving other priority issues and I am afraid the issue related to UniCode text visibility reported earlier is not yet resolved. Please note that this problem was separately logged as PDFNEWNET-34989. Nevertheless, I have requested the team to share the ETA regarding its resolution. As soon as we have some definite updates regarding its resolution, we would be more than happy to update you with the status of correction. Please be patient and spare us little more time.

We are really sorry for this inconvenience.

Thanks kindly, Nayyer. This is a critical issue for my team here, and at this point I’m being asked for whom to reach out to at Aspose in order to discuss this further. If that information could be sent over I’d greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Elizabeth

Hi Nayer,

I am the Vice President of development for Elizabeth’s company. I would like to speak with your Vice President, or an executive in your development organization with responsibility for this product.

We depend on your software, and when the software doesn’t work we depend on your organization to fix the problem in a timely manner. Our customers depend on our software (and therefore on your software), and their business is increasingly impacted with each day that this problem goes unresolved. Their patience is gone. Our patience is gone. We need action on this item. We need results.
Please forward me the requested contact information.

Sincerely,
Tom Prendergast

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your patience and contacting support.

First of all my humble apologies for the delay and inconvenience that you have been facing in this regard. Please note that when the problem was initially reported, we logged it as PDFNEWNET-34887 and during our investigation, we found that if FlattenAllFields(…) method is called before FillField, updated field values are not displayed. Please note that FillField() method returns false if filling was not successful;
if FlattenAllFields() was called before FillField() then FillField will return false (because field was flattened and inaccessible for this reason). Therefore in order to resolve this problem, FlattenAllFields should be called after filling form field values.

Later on it was reported that, when adding UniCode text to PDF field and we comment out FlattenAllFields, then we can see the text (once we’ve clicked on the text field in the PDF). However if we call FlattenAllFields(…) method, we do not see the text. This problem is separately logged as PDFNEWNET-34989 and I am afraid due to some other priority issues, we could not get this problem resolved.

We can understand the problems that you have been facing due to this issue but as per our development process, all the issues are resolved based on particular schedule. However in order to expedite the investigation and resolution, you may consider opting the Priority Support. Please note that the issues reported under Priority Support have high precedence in terms of resolution as compare to the issues reported under normal/free support model. Furthermore, before you purchase Priority support, please note that Priority support does not guarantee any immediate resolution but it expedites the investigation related to particular issue. For further information, please take a look over Support Options.

We are really sorry for your inconvenience.

PS, We do not provide technical support over phone/email and we encourage technical support via forums and live chat.

This issue was reported on Feb 11th. On March 17th, you now respond that for an extra fee we can possibly get someone to fix this? I’ve been in the software business for 30 years, and have seen some really poor support in my days, but I am really surprised at your response. Is there no ETA for a problem, after 5 weeks?

Is your management, and the management in development aware of the level of dissatisfaction here? Are they aware that this poor response time from Aspose is likely to be a hot topic at a large conference for the insurance industry next week? I cannot imagine that your management wants the bad press that this going to generate.

Who can I speak with in management to address this issue?

Hi Tom,

I have increased the priority of this issue to high which is the highest level in our normal support. I have also escalated this issue to the top management. We’re also following up our development team to get an ETA of this issue.

As you can understand, we process and resolve all the issues on first come first serve basis, so that customers don’t have to wait much for the fix of the issues. However, sometimes, when certain issues are complex and also team is already involved with some issues, it might take some time to fix an issue. Anyway, as I have already increased the priority of this issue, we’ll be trying our best to either provide an ETA or fix the earliest possible. Our team still needs to investigate this issue in more detail to get to the root cause of the issue and only when we get a clear idea of the cause of this issue, we’ll be able to share some solid information.

We do understand your critical scenario; however, we would really appreciate your cooperation and understanding as well.

Thanks & Regards,

Thank-you for your support and for increasing the priority.

I understand your first-come first-serve policy. From our perspective, we have been trying to get Mandarin characters merged into a PDF document for some time, and first reported problems on Feb 5. Its possible that each time we take a step forward, we get sent to the back of the queue. E.g., we started reporting issues on Feb 5th, https://forum.aspose.com/t/88208v, and on Feb 11th we/aspose identified an issue (item PDFNEWNET-34887PDFNEWNET-34887) and then subsequently on the same thread, a different issue (item PDFNEWNET-34989). So while separate tickets are getting processed for individually identified problems, the overal issue/incident, not being able to merge Mandarin characters into a PDF document, has not been resolved. This is the cause of the concern/frustration shown by our customer and by us.

I again want to thank-you for the escalation. We are depending on you for resolution of this important incident.

Tom Prendergast:
From our perspective, we have been trying to get Mandarin characters merged into a PDF document for some time, and first reported problems on Feb 5. Its possible that each time we take a step forward, we get sent to the back of the queue. E.g., we started reporting issues on Feb 5th, https://forum.aspose.com/t/88208v,
Hi Tom,

In the above specified thread, an issue related to Madarin characters was reported and during our conversation, we tested the scenario with latest release version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET 7.7.0 and it was confirmed to us (in this post) that problem is fixed in v7.7.0.

Tom Prendergast:
and on Feb 11th we/aspose identified an issue (item PDFNEWNET-34887PDFNEWNET-34887) and then subsequently on the same thread, a different issue (item PDFNEWNET-34989). So while separate tickets are getting processed for individually identified problems, the overal issue/incident, not being able to merge Mandarin characters into a PDF document, has not been resolved. This is the cause of the concern/frustration shown by our customer and by us.

The problem related to FlattenAllField(…) method was reported on 11feb2013 in this post and we logged this issue as PDFNEWNET-34887.

During our investigations, we noticed that the problem occurred due to improper call of FlattenAllField and FillField methods and I suggested the solution in 445459 post. In next post 445722 created on 19Feb2013, an acknowledgement was received that the issue is fixed. However on very next day 20Feb2013, a new post was created stating that “you are still able to recreate this issue if the field is mapped using Arial Unicode MS”. Initially this problem was associated with original PDFNEWNET-34887 but later on, we found that the issue is related to field encoding not just related to simple call of FlattenAllFields, so in post 450438 I notified that a separate issue ID PDFNEWNET-34989 is created. Now the development is investigating the issue PDFNEWNET-34989.

We have already raised the priority of this issue and have set it to High and we will try our level best to get this issue fixed as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your comprehension and cooperation in this regard.

Hi Nayyer,

Any progress or updates on this?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your patience. I have checked with product team for the progress on your reported issue. We have a good news for you that, fix for the issue has been planned in Aspose.Pdf for .Net 7.9.0 release and hopefully it would be released in the end of April, 2013. However, we will keep you updated via this thread.

Sorry for the inconvenience faced.

Best Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFNEWNET-34989) have been fixed in Aspose.Pdf for .NET 7.9.0.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.