Getting position coordinates in a document

Hello there,

Is there any way to get a given node’s coordinates (x, y) in a document ?

Here’s what I need to do:

- Open a document, replace some bookmarks for the correct values, convert it to PDF. Open the pdf with another component, and add acrobat fields for signing in a given position (x, y).

My problem is that the application I’m using to edit the pdf and add the signature fields (itextsharp) only takes coordinates, and Aspose.Words does not seem to have a way to get the coordinates of a specific node.

I used to do this with Word interop objects by using wdVerticalPositionRelative to page, but cannot seem to find anything similar in Aspose.Words.

What I did was open the document, and get the coordinates of the I node I wanted then save it to a database. Later on, when a user would convert the document to pdf and decide do add fields for digital signatures (in my application) I would then retrieve the correct coordinates from the database and add those fields in PDF.

After migrating to Aspose.Words I seem to have lost any means of doing this… I tried everything, even adding a special marker to the document before converting it to pdf but then I can’t get it in my pdf document, or even if I can get it, I don’t know it’s position in the document…

Can you give me any help on this ? Is there any way in Aspose.Words to achieve what I’m after ? This is a major functionality in my application and leaving it out after migrating to Aspose.Words is not really an option for my clients…

Thanks,

jm

Hi

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Words. MS Word document is flow document and does not contain any information about its layout into lines and pages. Our Rendering Engine layouts documents into lines and pages and internally it is possible to determine position of a particular node. But unfortunately, there is no public API, which allows you to determine where page starts or ends. Also, there is no way to find the position of the particular node on page. You can leave your suggestions regarding this feature in the following blog.
https://blog.aspose.com/2008/12/01/where-on-a-page-is-my-paragraph
Also, I linked your request to the appropriate issue. You will be notified as soon as it is resolved.
Does the software you use for editing PDF documents allow determining coordinates of bookmarks in PDF document? If so, you can just insert a bookmarks into MS Word document, this bookmark will be converted to PDF and you will be able to insert a signature at this bookmark.
Best regards,

Hello there,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you have any idea about when this features will be available on Aspose.Words ?

In the meantime I’ll try the bookmark suggestion you mentioned.

Regards,

jm

Hello

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, it is difficult to provide you any reliable estimate regarding this issue at the moment. You will be notified as soon as it is supported.
Best regards,

The blog post in the original answer was posted back in 2008. A question about this feature’s current status was posted in 2010 with a reply of “no ETA”. It’s now 2012 (almost 2013).

Has any progress been made on this feature or an ETA been established for its release? This is a feature that we are very much awaiting.

Many thanks.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your inquiry. I am afraid, there is no further news available on this topic. However, you may use your Priority Support subscription to raise the priority of this issue. Please let us know.

Best Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-2978) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(62)