Pivot table causes errors in XLSX files- works fine in XLS

In .Cells 5.1.2.6, I have some graphs and a pivot table in an XLS file which I open as the prototype (template, see attached PivotTemplate.XLS). I then add additional sheets and save the resulting file. When I save in XLS it works fine (see Marketing_Programs_Effectiveness.xls) but when I save the identical in-memory representation as XLSX it creates a bad file. If I allow Excel to repair the file the pivot table is missing (see Marketing_Programs_Effectiveness.xlsx).

Also, notice that on the "Graphs" worksheet the font sizes are different between the XLS and XLSX saved files. We would expect them to be the same as the source XLS file rather than larger as in the XLSX. Can this be fixed in the XLSX?

Thanks,
--Howard

Hi Howard,

The source file which you have provided us is not in the proper format. Please see the attached error messag screen shot. Please provide us the correct file so that we can further investigate this issue.

Thanks,

Thanks for looking at the problem. You misunderstand our source file. We use undefined named ranges in the source file and then create those named ranges during our processing phase. This works fine for graphics and many other uses, for both XLS and XLSX, and is likely not responsible for the Pivot Table problem.

Please focus on the two output files, which are made from exactly the same in-memory data, the only difference being in the file format specified in the Save call.

I believe our issue is related to or the same as:

<A href="https://forum.aspose.com/t/134442</A>#</P> <P>--Howard</P> <P> </P>

Hi,

Thanks for providing further details.

I have logged your issue into our issue tracking system with an id: CELLSNET-19852. We will figure your issue out soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please try the attached version. We have fixed your mentioned issue.

Thank you.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 19852) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Unfortunately, the problem is not fixed. I've attached an XLSX made with Aspose.Cells 5.1.3.0 and the problem of "unreadable content" persists.

--Howard

Hi,

Could you post your template XLS file here that you are saving it as XLSX by Aspose.Cells.

If you are creating the xlsx file from the scratch, please paste your sample code here, we will check it soon.

Thank you.

The template is attached to the first message of this thread. It's exactly the same thing, only the .Cells version has changed.

--Howard

Hi,

A simple open/save operation is done with your template xls file. I have attached my generated xlsx file. It opens fine in MS Excel 2007 without any issue.

Thank you.

Actually, the XLSX file you provided is corrupted. I can't open it in Excel 2003. After conversion, "Excel found unreadable content ...". If I recover and open the file, it says that "Repairs were made to PivotTable report ...".

If I open the XLSX in Excel 2010, while it does open, the pivot table does not function correctly. Compare the operation of the pivot in the XLS with the XLSX. Under "Customer Location", in the XLS, you see the correct choices of (All), East, and West. In your XLSX, you only see (All) and East. And, there are no dropdowns in row 12.

After a while, looking at the XLSX Cust Pivot sheet crashes Excel 2010.

--Howard

Hi,

"Actually, the XLSX file you provided is corrupted. I can’t open it in
Excel 2003. After conversion, “Excel found unreadable content …”.
Well, MS Excel 2003 cannot open XLSX files, you need to have Excel 2007 or greater versions to open a XLSX file.

Also,
"If I open the XLSX
in Excel 2010, while it does open, the pivot table does not function
correctly. Compare the operation of the pivot in the XLS with the
XLSX. Under “Customer Location”, in the XLS, you see the correct
choices of (All), East, and West. In your XLSX, you only see (All) and
East. And, there are no dropdowns in row 12."

Thanks for providing us details. After conducting test, I can find the issue as you have described. I have re-opened your issue and we will fix it soon.

Thank you.

Thanks for looking into our issue.

"Well, MS Excel 2003 cannot open XLSX files, you need to have Excel 2007 or greater versions to open a XLSX file."

Actually, the Excel 2003 XLSX to XLS converter (Office compatibility pack) provided by Microsoft works very well, as long as you don't use any Excel 2007+ features in the XLSX. I use this often during testing.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/microsoft-office-compatibility-pack-for-word-excel-and-powerpoint-2007-file-formats-HA010168676.aspx

--Howard

Hi,

Kindly try the attached version/fix v5.1.3.5, it should fix your issue.

Kindly give us your feedback.

Thank you

Thanks for the update. While this fixed the crashing problem first observed in v5.1.3.2, it does not fix the "unreadable content" problem. When opening in Excel 2010:

"Excel found unreadable content..."

Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition1.xml part (PivotTable cache)
Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable1.xml part (PivotTable view)
Removed Records: Workbook properties from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)

I have attached the newly-generated XLSX.

--Howard

Hi,

Thanks for the file.

We will further investigate you issue soon.

Thank you.

<!–[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

<![endif]–><span style=“font-size: 10pt; font-family: “Microsoft YaHei”,“serif”;”>Hi,

Could you tell us your source file is
Marketing_Programs_Effectiveness.xls or Marketing_Programs_Effectiveness.xlsx
in your attached files archive?

Or preferably could you provide your sample code or application?

A simple open xls and save to xlsx operation is done with his template xls
file. The source xls file and the generated xlsx file are attached. Moreover, the Marketing_Programs_Effectiveness_generated.xlsx file is opened successfully in
Excel 2010 and Excel 2007 as we tested. i.e., Marketing_Programs_Effectiveness.xls —> save to -->
Marketing_Programs_Effectiveness_generated.xlsx

Thanks.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by MuzammilKhan